With worsening weather conditions and rising energy demand, the UK is predicting power cuts this winter. With a home generator, you can have a back-up plan in place.
Climate change is affecting many different areas of our lives around the world, but one of the most recent concerns is how more extreme weather conditions and increasing demand for energy may cause more power cuts in the UK this winter.
According to an article by The Guardian, there are three reasons behind this:
- Unexpected natural disasters may knock out power grids or lines.
- The demand for power may exceed the produced power.
- Energy companies are going under as prices for power continue to rise.
All of this may have you feeling nervous about your own power, and we’re here to make sure you’re not left sitting in the dark this winter. With a standby generator, you’ll feel secure in the knowledge that you won’t have to wait for power to return before you carry on with your life.
How do I choose the right standby generator for me?
Well, that depends on what you’d be powering. Put simply, there are two types of people who may want a back-up generator ready to save the day:
- Small businesses or homes that require full power during power-cuts to keep everything running as normal.
- Your average home, which only requires the ability to charge electronics or run certain appliances during a short-term emergency.
We’re going to focus on the second type of people in this article, as these are the people who may not have thought about the benefits of a home generator before now.
If, however, you are that first type of person, we think you might be interested in our Warrior 6.25 kVa Diesel Generator, featuring an Automatic Transfer Switch that turns your generator on and off by detecting fluctuations in power to your business or home.
What are the benefits of a home generator?
Before we get into the specifics of each generator, let’s run through home generator benefits:
- Light Weight: Easy to carry into whichever room you need power.
- Compact: Easy to store when you’re not using it.
- Quiet: You’ll barely notice it running.
- Eco friendly: Champion generators are 2021 EU Stage V Compliant (Pollution Reg).
- Versatile power: They can help you power all you might need during a power cut, from electrical essentials such as fridges and freezers to hairdryers.
No matter which generator you choose, you’ll have the ability to power the fundamentals in your home during shorter power cuts...
Which is the right home generator for me?
We have three portable generators that could be your perfect home generator:
- Champion 3500W LPG / Petrol Dual Fuel Inverter Generator
- Champion 3500W Inverter Portable Silent Generator
- Champion 3500W Premier Portable Silent Generator
Here’s a breakdown of some key features of each portable generator so you can decide what’s best for your home:
Champion 3500W LPG / Petrol Dual Fuel Generator:
- Dual fuel allows for longest runtime: Up to 8 hours on petrol, up to 16 hours on LPG.
- Multiple outlets including 2x240v outlet and a 12vDC outlet.
- Overload protection and economy mode to save fuel
Champion 3500W Inverter Portable Silent Generator:
- Up to 8 hours runtime (25% load).
- Best-value portable generator in our range!
- Quiet operation at only 58 dBA.
Champion 3500W Premier Portable Silent Generator:
- Up to 8 hours runtime (25% load).
- Radio remote start and electric push button start.
- Multiple outlets including 13amp outlet.
If you’re still not sure which standby home generator would be best for you, we’d recommend using our Wattage Calculator, a tool which helps you choose a generator that’s suited to the amount of power you think you’ll need.
One final pro of the portable generator...
Another bonus of our portable generators is that you can also use them on days out or on camping trips. In fact, you might want to read our article on 6 of the best places to take your campervan this winter.
As long as you have a trusty portable generator nearby, you’ll never need to worry about powering your home or your weekend camping trips.
A note on safety: Make sure you read our portable generator safety checklist.
Need some help choosing a generator? Find out all you need to know in our Generator Guides and Tips section.